Tuesday 25 March 2014

Simple Spinach Soup and a Slice of Crazy

Oh Monday why are you always popping up and kicking Sunday out of the party, he's a chilled guy you should let him hang out with us more. Thanks to you yesterday was a loooong day filled with far too much work and not enough fun. Even though the sun was shining and I got to walk skip merrily into work eating fruit salad, and some of my work involved making beautiful flower baubles in the sunshine. I still somehow ended up spending 12 hours in an office building dragging very heavy boxes from room to room, all on that one fruit salad, and a slice of microwave pizza. Not what I usually call fun if i'm honest.

Now I complain a lot, but I do really love my job and sometimes 12 hours moving boxes and gluing petals and decorating tents just comes with the job. I'm also really lucky to be very good friends with all of my colleagues. That said when spending almost half a day in work I've managed to find some pretty sweet ways to entertain myself. A few of the bizarre games I found myself playing yesterday were:

Secret dance party - A classic when decorating the inside of a tent. Zip the door shut, pop your iPod on loud and dance until someone comes to investigate where the musics coming from. At this point you have two choices, awkwardly switch your music off and apologize for the noise, or invite them to dance and decorate with you. Job done twice as fast.

Hide and Seek - A slightly less productive game I like to play, especially when people don't know they're looking for you. But also a great way to find some peace and quiet to send some emails. A highlight of this game is the look on peoples face when you emerge from your hiding place. Beautiful.

Building a box fort - Okay so this one was less intentional. I was looking for a box in the corner of the room, it might have been at the bottom of the pile. Before I knew it I may have found the box I wanted and also have found myself fenced in behind the boxes.

Well there you have it, a slightly bizarre list of ways to have fun at work. I should probably also add that I played most of these games with my boss, as we were all starting to feel the stress of far too long away from the sunshine. In most other circumstances you probably shouldn't hide from people, build forts or dance to drastically loud steps songs.

Anyway I may have gotten a little distracted. Even though my day was horrifically long and I ate far to little, I still managed to have a delicious and healthy tea. This soup is one of my favorites and it's ridiculously easy to make. I'd made a big pot of it on Sunday and frozen half to eat later.

I didn't quite remember the whole recipe + photo = blog post thing.
As I'm a minor disaster I completely forgot to take picture as I went along so that's really all you're getting photo wise. But, I assure you it is oh so yummy and will make you feel superbly healthy.

Ingredient wise it's all pretty simple and should be stuff you just have hanging around in you're cupboards.

200g Spinach
2 big Potatoes
2 sticks of Celery 
2 cloves of Garlic
1 Onion
200ml Vegetable Stock
Plain Soy or Greek Yogurt

Now you get to see just how easy this recipe is, these ingredients should make you around 4 bowls of the stuff, enough for at least diner and lunch . 

First you want to chop your potatoes, celery, garlic and onion into nice little chunks and stick them in your pan. 

Next cover the vegetables with your vegetable stock and simmer for about 20 minutes on a medium heat.

Once those vegetables and potato have soften up a bit add your spinach to the pan. (it might look like you have too much for the pan, but it will shrink in no time and fit perfectly).

Simmer the soup for a further ten minutes, stirring frequently. 

After the ten minutes have passed let your soup cool slightly before pouring it into your blender (or getting your hand blended) and blend the soup so that the vegetable chunks have mixed in.

Finally, pop your soup into  a bowl and add a blob of whichever yogurt you choose. This bit is entirely optional but adds a slightly bitter bite to the soup, that cuts through the flavors nicely.

And there you have it, super simple spinach soup in less that 40 minutes. I had mine with think slices of read covered in butter.. just to ruin the healthy vibe. The soup is perfect on a colder evening but is a nice transition soup from winter to spring. 

Now, go whip yourself up a bowl and let me know what you think. And hey If you decide to comment back with a slice of crazy as well I'd be over the moon to know i'm not the only crazy cat around here this less than sunny Tuesday morning!

4 comments:

  1. I need to try making some spinach soup! I'm here from Come Along Wednesdays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing on Come Along Wednesday! I cannot wait to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks amazing! I am adding it to my list of recipes I have to try out!! Stopping by from Come Along Wednesdays! =]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Come Along Wednesday first time visitor. I like how you shared spinish looking yummie

    ReplyDelete